Thursday, February 19, 2004

Have I jumped the Gun?

After speaking with another journalist who has been studying the situation in Haiti from the beginning, I must concede that I may have been too simplistic in my depiction of the Haitian rebellion. Apparently, it isn't so cut and dry (ie. no good guys vs. bad guys) and the rebellion is not being led by the common people.

According to Amnesty International, Louis Jodel Chamblain is a known abuser of human rights and he is currently leading the resistance to the Aristide government. Although Aristide is not an example of a benevolent leader, I'm beginning to wonder if bringing in a military dictatorship would be an improvement! (Of course, I am against violations of human rights. I'm just attempting to correct my last post which was very skewed towards the rebels...)

It just goes to show that writing isn't just about reading a few articles and spewing out your opinion, whatever it may be. A lot of research must be done, sources must be tracked down, and if you aren't careful, you may end up encouraging a fledgling coup instead of promoting freedom. I still long for a truly democratic Haiti--I'm just beginning to doubt that this uprising is going to help them to gain any real liberty, especially when it is led by "convicted human rights abusers".

No comments: